Saturday, February 25, 2017 / by Jessica Holcomb
Tips to Get Top $ For Your Home!
One of the most common questions we hear is what should we do to fix up our home? Should we update it or sell it as-is? Here are the top tips to get you top $ for your property when you go to sell it.
1. Flooring - Your flooring should be clean and in good condition. If your carpet does not have rips or holes in it then a professional cleaning will be fine in most cases. However, if you carpeting has major stains, and wear and tear than it will be well worth it to replace the carpet. A good rule of thumb is to look at the other homes that have sold in the area. If they all have wood flooring and yours does not - than you may want to add wood flooring.
2. Paint - Neutral colors will always show your home in the best light. If you have more than 3 colors in your home in main living areas you may have a hard time selling it. Also darker paint colors tend to darken and make rooms look smaller. This is not a good thing when you are trying to sell your home. Light and bright with a pop of color in small rooms like your Powder Room or Dining Room is attractive and will help buyers envision themselves in your home. Also be sure to touch up paint through out the home to give it that fresh clean look. This extra step can mean the difference between low ball offers and full price offers.
3. De-Clutter / De-Personalize - It is best to remove some of your decorative items along tops of shelves, and furniture. We also advise you to clear everything off the top of your refrigerator and the sides. Remove all extra items off counters except for small appliances. A nice accent bowl holding fruit is a great item to place on the island or bar top. If you have a smaller room with larger furniture you may want to consider removing one of the pieces to make it look more spacious. Never block walk ways with furniture and remember less is more.
4. Bathrooms - Remove all extra items off counters and place them in drawers and cabinets. A common issue is water stains, or caulking that is collecting mold at the base of the shower pan. A simple fix is to scrape off the caulking and re-caulk the shower with a fresh clean look. Also be sure to have your bathrooms deep cleaned so that they sparkle for a new buyers discerning eye.
5. Front Door / Back Door - A fresh coat of paint or stain goes a long way. This is the first impression of your home! Also be sure to clean your home of cob webs and bugs that so often collect in the porch areas. If your door handles are rusted or dull - a nice new door handle set is the perfect way to welcome a new family to your home!
6. Landscaping / Lawn - Correct any lawn disease issues and if you have areas that grass is not growing - work to resolve the issue. Most of the time it is due to improper drainage or trees / shading issues. A fresh layer of mulch also will feed your plants as well as make your curb appeal look great. If you have a large porch area a couple of potted flowering plants is a nice touch - just be sure to water them!
If you have additional questions about more specific items in your home please don't hesitate to contact White Glove Realty for a custom consultation today!